1 be characteristic of; "This compositional style is exemplified by this fugue" [syn: represent]
Exemplification is a mode of symbolization characterized by the relation between a sample and what it refers to.
DescriptionUnlike ostension, which is the act of showing or pointing to a sample, exemplification is possession of a property plus reference to its label (Goodman, 1976). For example, if a colour sample has the property labelled 'green', then the colour sample exemplifies green. Basically, possession of a property amounts to being referred to by its label.
While the label 'green' refers to any green thing, only things that are used as samples, such as the green swatches in a paint shop's booklet, exemplify it. Furthermore, exemplification is selective: a sample does not exemplify all of its properties (size, shape, aesthetic value etc.) but only those for which it is a symbol.
A mode of reference
Reference is the relation between something "standing for" something else. Usually it goes in one direction, for example, from a word to what it designates. But it is also used in both directions, for example, when product samples stand for certain properties they possess. While the label 'green' refers to a certain property of a product sample, the sample refers to the same property by exemplifying it. Therefore, exemplification is a mode of reference.
Uses of exemplification
- Product samples exemplify certain properties they possess.
- As a part in ostensive definition, i.e. definition by exemplification of what is defined. For example, an artist can define a new style by showing works that exemplify it.
- Defined exemplification is a pattern of essay development that uses specific instances (examples) to clarify a point, to add interest, or to persuade (Clouse, 2006).
- Goodman, Nelson, 1976, Languages of Art: An Approach to a Theory of Symbols. Indianapolis: Hackett Publishing Company, pp 52-57.
- Clouse, Barbara, 2006, Patterns for a Purpose: McGraw Hill Publishing Company, pg G-2
- Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy: Goodman's aesthetics by Alessandro Giovannelli.
exemplify in German: Exemplifikation
absolve, account for, adumbrate, allegorize, body forth, call to mind, cite, cite a particular, clarify, clear up, crack, decipher, demonstrate, demythologize, depict, discharge, dispense, display, document, elucidate, emblematize, embody, enlighten, epitomize, euhemerize, example, except, excuse, exempt, exhibit, explain, explain away, explicate, exposit, expound, figure, fit the pattern, foreshadow, free, give a for-instance, give reason for, give the meaning, illuminate, illustrate, image, impersonate, incarnate, instance, itemize, lead the way, let off, make clear, make plain, mirror, model, name, particularize, personate, personify, popularize, prefigure, pretypify, project, quote, rationalize, realize, reflect, relieve, represent, set an example, set the pace, shadow, shadow forth, shed light upon, show, show how, show the way, simplify, solve, spare, spell out, symbolize, throw light upon, typify, unfold, unlock, unravel